Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Salty Residue? An ash question too.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Salty Residue? An ash question too. Empty Salty Residue? An ash question too. Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Sparkles

Foamy

I have a noticed a dried salt type residue on my last two loaves. With the banana it was just on the top. With my new currant one, it has it all over the edges and top. I can only guess this is because I unmolded while frozen and it has something to do with the condensation. I've not changed anything except to add some white kaolin clay to each batch. The glitter I sprinkled on top of the currant one after it came out of the freezer is now non-existent due to this residue. It just looks like salt water that has dried on it. I know it isn't ash because the soap that I piped and stayed out of the freezer is covered in ash and it looks totally different. Any ideas?

Also, I noticed that my soaps that go in the freezer do not get ash but the soaps that I leave out at room temp and are also ungelled are totally covered in ash. I mean totally...it's fugly! So there is something about the lack of airflow in the freezer apparently. So do I need to at least invert a tub over top the soaps left out or something?

2Salty Residue? An ash question too. Empty Re: Salty Residue? An ash question too. Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:01 pm

funlovingfraggle

Bubbly

No clue what the residue is - does it zap?

And yep, inverted tub should help or glad-wrap/cling-wrap works too Wink

3Salty Residue? An ash question too. Empty Re: Salty Residue? An ash question too. Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Sparkles

Foamy

I haven't tested it for zap...I'll have to do that.

About the cling wrap, I can't lay it right on top of my stuff since it would lay right on the soap but an inverted tub might have to join my soap equipment.

4Salty Residue? An ash question too. Empty Re: Salty Residue? An ash question too. Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Kellie

Kellie
Admin

I spray with alcohol and made a "lid" out of styrofoam, hollowed out the top of it so I could have fancy tops. It helps . Imho it seems the faster the soap gels and cools the less ash it gets. Ungelled there is no way to tell how much or how thick the ash will be. It could be the cold that stops the ash when it is in the fridge.
A very well known soapmaker that does not gel her soap , swears adding a small % of beeswax helps.( I will find the % out).

Last edited by Kellie on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add more info)

http://www.forgetmenotsoapshop.com

5Salty Residue? An ash question too. Empty Re: Salty Residue? An ash question too. Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:43 am

Bnk

Smoothy

I think misting with alcohol helps alot also, just after your done with the tops (swirling) and ready to let sit either in the freezer or out of the freezer.

6Salty Residue? An ash question too. Empty Re: Salty Residue? An ash question too. Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:36 pm

funlovingfraggle

Bubbly

Kellie wrote:
A very well known soapmaker that does not gel her soap , swears adding a small % of beeswax helps.( I will find the % out).

I was told 2% - never tried it though as I rarely ever get Ash, and just leave it or wash it off if I do ..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum